25 March 2009

Buffalo Bleu

There aren't many things in this life that I crave. I have developed a fair share of discipline and will power through the years, but this warrior definitely has a weakness. Potato chips. And not just any old chip will do. My favorite potato chips in the world are the Kettle chips. The first time I tasted the salt and pepper chip, I never looked at another brand. That was about five or so years ago.

If there were more flavors back then, I don't know because five or so years ago, our local food co-op carried only two or three flavors. Granted, now they have most of the flavors, and I thought that I had tried them all.

I was at the, gulp...I hate to say it, Kroger big chain grocery store to buy something for my son who is ill. Since Kroger has some of the same foods that our food co-op carries, I decided to take advantage of making only one stop and picking up a few things that were also on my co-op list.

Chips topped the list. Imagine my surprise when I saw a new flavor in my favorite Kettle Chips. I usually am not a flavor potato chip kind of girl. I really like them simple with light salt or my favorite of all, salt and pepper. The flavors don't really woo me, but every once in a while, I enjoy a tasty flavored potato chip.

The new flavor, Buffalo Bleu, sounded interesting. The concept is a spicy buffalo wing type flavor with a hint of bleu cheese. "Okay, I'll bite," I thought.

Yum. Saliva builds in my mouth as I hold my first Buffalo Bleu chip in my hands. My mouth gets juicier as I bring it past my lips and crunch down on it. Crunch. Crunch. Hmm? Crunch. Crunch. Hmm?

Nope. Don't like it. There's just too much stuff going on. The flavors are good with a tangy and "brazen" spiciness and hint of bleu cheese, but the flavors would be better if they were separated. First of all, the flavor powders cover the chip so you can't even see the chip. The only reason I'm sure the chip was there was due to the characteristic crunch of a Kettle chip.

Second, there's just too much shit on the chips. The company would have been better off putting the spicy chips in one pile and the bleu cheese chips in another pile and mixing the two pile together in the same bag.

There is no third except to say that there's too much crap on the Buffalo Bleu chips. I don't like 'em. I hope you read this and believe me and spend your three dollars on the classic salt and pepper.

Even though I didn't care for the chip, I ate a few more to make sure. Yup, me no like Buffalo Bleu. But that's okay. My husband will. And I'll remember for a few months not to stray from the classics.

2 comments:

  1. What I wouldn't give for a bag of Salt & Pepper Kettle Chips. That's one of the few disadvantages to living out here in the boonies - no Kettle Chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, i really really dig salt and vinegar.

    i had the piss poor experience of trying the same flavor combo on some doritos someone at the office had. sucks. agreed.

    that is all.

    ReplyDelete